Saturday, November 19, 2005

A Poster

When I read a novel or book of any kind, I often find it interesting to take a few minutes and examine the cover of it. This is not to say that I always judge a book by its cover. I just find that it can complement the reading of the text. I will try to post something about book covers later, when I find a few more. However, in my web browsing, I came across a few interesting posters. You can look at the first one here: http://www.rainfall.com/posters/Theatrical/2891.htm

Because the image cannot be enlarged, it is a little bit difficult to see the fine details. However, I think the image is wonderful. Unlike the novel, there is certainly a realistic element to this artwork. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this is from the final encounter between Lucio and Geoffrey in the novel. A few things come to mind when I look at the image:

1. Lucio is being glorified by the rest of the angels. In the novel, he is denied in the end by Tempest. Although Satan is rejected in this scene, the image shows us how Lucio comes out on top because his rejection by one human brings him one step closer to heaven again. The magnificence of Lucio's departure in the novel (pg. 380) is described with great detail, and I think the artist captured this detail very well.

2. The first thing that came to mind when I saw Geoffrey in the water was Christ on the cross. His left arms is stretched to his side, resting on what appears to be a peice of a shipwreck. Perhaps the artist was working with the idea of salvation, and how Tempest finally has freedom from Satan after he rejects him. Tempest is saved.


Another poster I found gives us a wonderfully colourful version of Lucio: http://www.decospirit.com/graphic1.htm

The facial hair and red colour are exactly what one might expect to see on Satan. A few things I noticed in this painting:

1. The green shading around his eyes creates almost a mask effect. This symbolizes Lucio's disguise throughout the novel.

2. Although he has no quintessential devil horns, his collar and shoes are pointed to compensate for this.

3. His right hand appears to be releasing beams of some sort. Perhaps this is representative of the power that Lucio has. He could be using these powers to control something or somebody who is below the clouds, on the earth. And the fact that he is looking away from the object he is controlling is signficant: it's so easy fro him to control Tempest in the novel that he can do it with his eyes closed if he wanted to.


Here (http://www.disobey.com/horror/posters_and_similar/downloads/sorrwstn.jpg) is another poster I found. This one advertises the 1926 movie release of "Sorrows of Satan".

All of these posters are different. Which do you think is the best? Why? Do you think they accurately depict the text?

1 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Will said...

Thanks Marko I enjoyed all the images. The first image of Geoffrey in the water is my favorite, I think it's most accurate to the text. I agree with you that it appears to symbolize Geoffrey finding salvation. The piece of shipwreck that Geoffery is stretched out on looks like a cross to me. The other two images seem more like artist interpretations, art deco and Hollywood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home